House of General Charles G. Loring
Prides Crossing, Massachusetts
Introduction
Video Tour
House Exterior
Interior
History
Sam Codman
Friends
Our Plan
Donate
Contact Us
General Charles G. Loring History of the House

General Charles G. Loring, 1828-1902

In 1881, Charles G. Loring II, the first director of the Museum of Fine Arts and his wife, Mary J. Hopkins, asked architect William Ralph Emerson to design a summer cottage on a part of his father's estate in Pride's Crossing, Massachusetts. The fashionable Shingle Style cottage was completed in the summer of 1884.

William Ralph Emerson, 1853-1917

Vincent Scully wrote" Certainly the architecture of William Ralph Emerson, in the very looseness, naturalness, and informality of its organization, can remind one of the older Emerson who renounced rule, embraced nature, and had a vision of free society based upon love and the acceptance of life."

Most of his 161 identified projects were for summer cottages or resorts dating from 1870 to 1909.

Oliver T. Roberts, 1850-1922

The son of a sea captain, he was the senior partner of the building firm of Roberts and Hoare builders of the Loring House and most of the great vacation cottages built on the north shore during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. During their most active period in the late 1800s, Roberts and Hoare employed over 200 men, whose craftsmanship was due in part to the area's long tradition of shipbuilding and cabinet-making.

Quincy Adams Shaw, 1869-1960

In 1902 the house was sold to Quincy Shaw, an art collector and benefactor to the Boston Museum of Fine Arts. Shaw donated 29 French Impressionist paintings, including this Millet pastel "Noonday Rest", 1866, which established the museum's collection.

Lydia Codman Shaw, 1886-1966

Lydia Shaw inherited the house in 1960 and upon her death in 1966, the house was given to her youngest son, Samuel Codman, who still resides there today.

Sam Codman (1908–)

In 1968 Sam retired from his position at the First National Bank of Boston, winterized a portion of the house and moved in year-round. Sam has continued to care for the house and property with little alteration.
William Ralph Emerson, Architect Oliver T. Roberts, Builder Quincy Adams Shaw lydia codman Samuel Codman General Charles G. Loring